Tuesday, November 4, 2008

inside my mind-part 1

It's easy to get bloggers block when there isn't a ton of racing going on-what am I supposed to write about? Doing schoolwork, trying not to get fat, and enjoying the fall weather? Soon they'll be training camps, epic weekends in the mountains and other good stuff to keep everyone updated on, but for now I figured I'd partly address a question I get asked all the time.

"What goes on in your head during a race?"

Hmm. All sorts of stuff, from "I'm hungry," to "I'm bored," to "ouuuuchhhhhh why are my eyeballs bleeding." But today I'm going to tell you about what goes through my mind in a special situation. Every time a race get's really fast, hard and dangerous the same thing happens. For example, there's three laps to go in a crit and the pace starts to get lifted to warp speed. Or I'm at some race in Belgium and we make a turn into a crosswind, everyone smashes their bodies straight into the gutter and suddenly we're going 60kph single-file while dodging traffic furniture and bodies.

Without fail, I think about the scene in the movie Spaceballs, where Darth Helmet says "Lightspeeds not fast enough. Go to ludicrous speed! What's the matter Colonel Sanders? Chicken?"




Anyway, I'm not sure why this occurs, but I find it pretty entertaining.

1 comment:

Dave said...

My God, they've gone PLAID!!