Thursday, June 12, 2008

Tommeke!

Belgium is probably the only country in europe that is almost ignoring the European Championship soccer tournament...it's all Tom Boonen, all the time, after Belgium's favorite son got caught with cocaine. Between that and two speeding tickets in the past six weeks, it sounds like Tom's been living it up a little bit too much.

Anyway, not much going on in my world. I unfortunately bagged the race tuesday due to some pretty bad knee pain. I made the most of a shit day by heading into Roeselare to check out some shops and get some gelato. I hate missing races though. The last two days the knee has felt better so racing is definitely on for Saturday, flat 12k lap done 12 times. Then tuesday I'm doing Romsee-Stavelot-Romsee which is down in Southern belgium on many of the same climbs of Liege-Bastogne-liege.

Yesterday was a pretty rad training ride of a bit over four hours. After an hour my knee loosened up and felt great. Chris Butler and I accidentally ended up in France, then headed back into Belgium to the beautiful city of Ieper, then back towards Roeselare by way of some sick, one lane, rolling country roads and finally back to Izegem on the highway. Felt damn good. Today was a hard 2 hours in the rain. It's been 50 degrees and raining all day. It used to confuse me that the weather could be like this in June until I realized that the latitude of Izegem is similar to that of Winnipeg, Canada.

No comments: