Monday, June 30, 2008

Dinant was really bad...

Well, it was actually really good for a while, when I made the front group of 20 riders just behind a race-long breakaway. I was riding strong, most of the guys in my group were completely destroyed, and I was confident I was headed towards my first top 20 here. Then wicked stomach cramps set in, followed by an excursion to a cornfield to try to relieve the pain, followed by a van ride from some not-so-bright walloons (those would be french speaking belgians) followed by some quality time in the porta-potty. I think it was caused by some race food I usually avoid. Unfortunately we were out of my preferred race diet of gels and clif bars. Mental note-avoid muesli bars.

Only 35 or so riders were even left standing when i had my episode, so I can't say it was a bad race. The course was utterly ridiculous. Climbs followed by crosswinds, climbs followed by false flats, followed by climbs, climbs followed by 2 minute descents and then more climbs...not to mention tiny little roads, sketchy descents, and, oh yeah, climbs and crosswinds. As usual the start was super fast, and I found myself for once at the front, which was nice. The long crosswind section combined with the climbing meant that the race shattered early and just kept breaking up even more after that.

It was also in the prettiest area we've been yet in Belgium. Near a river that is popular for rafting, tons of green forested areas, sweet rock formations and a castle built into a cliff. Not a bad place at all.

No comments: