Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The other Europe?

So I've had the luck to travel all around the world to race my bike. I've pedaled in anger on the roads of numerous countries of Europe, spent two full days travelling to do a stage race in New Zealand, visited the French Department of America's hat for the Tour de L'abitibi, and of course hit up many of the States of this Union to pin the numbers on. Now, I've even had the chance to hit up South America. In Uruguay I found surprisingly European style racing, with TV coverage, huge crowds, talented riders, and excellent racing. It's not that surprising when you consider cycling is the 2nd largest sport in many South American Countries, on a continent where the might of Soccer will never be toppled.

Now Chemstar p/b United Healthcare has another chance to compete in South America. Myself, Coulton Hartrich, Shane Braley and possibly one or two other riders are heading to Colombia, where we'll trade the windswept plains of Uruguay for beautiful (and tough) mountains. Having heard stories of the racing in those parts I expect it be absolutely brutal, but another great adventure.

No comments: